Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Good News, Bad News, and Just News

First, some good news for a few folks:

My "b-i-law" went by a couple of addresses as he was handling some other things this morning. I've debated about posting these on the main page (for a number of reasons) but basically decided that since the comments are public, and there are many address queries out there in the world, it probably doesn't make much difference. If somebody has concerns about this, let me know.

Note that all observations were from the street only.

416 Eliza - "real good" - some gutter downspounts down, but that's about all he saw.
326 Pelican - also "real good"
214 Delaronde - "very good shape" (he seemed impressed with this one's condition, but notes he couldn't view the roof)

That's all I have so far for specifics. I'll post as I get them, unless someone asks me not to.

Here's some "just news":

A restaurant up on the Point (not entirely sure which one) cleaned out its freezer(s) and took the entire pickup truck load of food over to the firehouse. I gather they plan to get it distributed around...

It looks like some of the rescue operations are being staged now from the Algiers levee. I'm told there's 1/4 mile worth of Fish and Wildlife boats launching from there.

And now the bad news...

This is a difficult post to make, but I don't know how to avoid it and still be honestly reporting what I'm hearing. Please understand that my friends and family who are there can't be considered "unbiased news sources". Don't panic... although this won't be a surprise.

We all know that order is breaking down throughout the city. It is starting to be noticed now on the Point (haven't talked to Kabel Drive yet today). Looters were seen in the streets last night, and a couple of bars were supposedly looted.

It's likely that I'll be losing one of my "voices inside" soon. They are concerned about the growing unrest and will probably try to get out. That will likely mean I won't have any more specifics on addresses, but we'll see.

More later...

2 Comments:

  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Vinny said;

    Unfortunately, as more people continue to leave the east bank via the CCC for Algiers, I suspect the looting problem will only get worse.

    Although it's been a while since I lived there (Park Timbers 77-84 and Uptown 88-90) it's good to know that the Best Bank has managed to escape most of the water damage. I imagine most of the folks I know who still live in NOLA were smart and got out while the gettin' was good.



     
  • At 6:40 PM, Blogger bob_ross38 said;

    Could you possibly know anything about 405 Delaronde. I have friends that own that house and have not been able to get in touch with them



     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home