Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

News from New Orleans

First - on a personal note - I've now talked to and confirmed the locations and safety of all but one of my 'second family'. Phew! From them, I have learned:

Algiers Point (aka Old Algiers) is dry, although there are lots of trees down. I've heard rumors that there is a break somewhere in the main waterline in Algiers, and that the water is completely unsafe. If that's true, they (the people there) don't know about it. I'm trying to confirm.

The Lutheran Church on Olivier Street has lost its steeple - it's lying in the street.

There is a "very large ship" stranded on the levee on the Point.

Something big is burning across the river right now, they say. No idea what.

Other news from them is that the waters are continuing to rise in the city. They have been told there is 4 (four) feet of water now in the French Quarter, and it's still coming in.

More later.

0 Comments: