Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

People who want to come home already

No. No and no.

Please, folks. Take a deep breath and try to think rationally.

Yes, Algiers seems to be an island. Certainly it appears to have ducked the devastation continuing to build across the river. Even in comparison to the rest of the West Bank, Algiers came out ahead somehow. But it's not over yet. Furthermore, there's some real damage in Algiers too. No major flooding didn't keep the trees vertical.

I'm told (and I've read) that they are not allowing anyone to approach the city, other than emergency services. Given that everybody is under martial law now, I doubt that there is any room for discussion at the road barriers, either.

I'd love to think that they'll let Algiers be set up as a haven and bastion - a base from which the rebuilding can be launched. I have to believe that when the city officials (and FEMA, et al) can come up for air, they will ask for help from those who are able to do so.

In the meanwhile, everybody's just got to wait.... and hope.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Jack said;

    I have a brother who runs the Hope House on Belleville at Algiers Point. I appreciate the information you have been providing. Thank you!



     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home