Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Rumors about the levee

I've seen lots of "chatter" on various forums about "punching a hole" in the levee to relieve the flooding in the city. Frankly, that doesn't make any sense. Punching a hole in the Algiers levee would not help the east side of the city in any way.

There is, of course, a ship on the levee just down from the Point. I suppose it's possible that there is a bit of seepage around it, but since the people in Algiers have not heard any warnings of water coming through, and they are still dry this morning (just checked), I think it's okay. Given what a break in that levee would do to Algiers, I'm absolutely confident they would hear about it.

To clarify about that ship: I'm told that it is not embedded in the levee embankment per se. It is partially on top of the dirt, but mostly it is on the concrete that faces the river. Word is that they (officials) are leaving it altogether alone, to avoid damage to the levee.

Hope that helps. More later as I hear.


0 Comments: