Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Saturday, September 03, 2005

More Good News

The authorities are present on the Point also. Sounds like they've spread all around Algiers, now.

I just heard that a SWAT team was patrolling today on the levee in a pick-up. They were observed checking doors to see if they were secured, and they managed to come across a couple of young men down on Patterson who were breaking in.

They didn't ask them to go away. They apparently arrested them. (I have no idea where they might be able to take people.)

No further word about anyone being told to leave. With any luck at all, things will settle down fast now, and it won't be an issue.

And before you ask.... No, you can't go back. Algiers is effectively an island, with a burning flooded city across the river, and what sounds like some serious problems still down the expressway. Can't get there from here.

Be patient.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger Polimom said;

    Stephanie,
    I can't answer the WWL broadcast. I only know what people told me today, about what they saw last night.
    About taking away guns - that's sort of true, but too broad a statement. I gather that if they see someone armed on the street, they are taking away the weapon.



     
  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger Polimom said;

    Stephanie,

    http://www.polimom.com/node/17

    p



     
  • At 10:34 PM, Blogger Polimom said;

    D.Beach - can you put that in the forum at polimom.com? I don't know where to put it. Forums are there for you guys...



     
  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger Edward Vielmetti said;

    This just clipped from nola.com:

    14842. Algiers Point reconaissance
    by mcanales, 9/3/05 23:47 ET
    I managed to get back to the Point Monday as the storm was passing to check the house out and to check on my parents who rode the storm out in Harvey. There was a lot of wind damage and downed branches. I live on the 800 block of Pacific and only had some siding damage, a little roof damage, gutter damage, and downed fences. On Tuesday, my wife and I rode our bikes though the Point and saw some downed trees and a lot of downed branches. Overall, our neighborhood looked ok. With a little help from everybody, we can get back to where we were. We didn't have any flooding! The big red apartment complex on Patterson has significant damage. Somebody's apartment is missing a wall. There are two of our neighbors who are still sticking it out and I am getting constant updates. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.



     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home