Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Polimom is a Blogger

This is a blog. What that means is that I post opinions... and I'm fixin' to do just that. This is NOT official information, but merely my own thoughts on the matter, bolstered by information coming to me from Algiers. (Official information is confined to polimom.com.)

The official line about returning to Algiers is still (as near as I can tell), "Not yet". I understand, intellectually, why this is. Much of the area is still without power (although it's coming back fast - Eliza St. is back on now). There are downed power lines, some of which may now be live. There's no gasoline for cars or generators.

However, I was just called by the people on the Point who have been trying so hard to keep your pets and homes safe. They can no longer enter houses, even with permission from the owner. The National Guard was understanding, but said they cannot enter anywhere without a house key. (Again, I fully see why this would be.)

The truth is, people are getting into Algiers just fine. Quite a few of them have gone to their homes, secured against further damage (tarps and boards...), rescued their pets, and left again. Some have stayed.

Being part of Orleans Parish, but relatively undamaged, seems to be a disadvantage for Algiers residents at this point in time. Information is unclear, and often irrelevant. I'm sure it's not deliberate... but it is what it is.

I cannot advise anyone on whether they should return to secure their homes right now. Everybody will have to make their own decisions. I'm pretty sure, though, that if it were me, I would be going.

0 Comments: