Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Real Deal

This post is really for those of you who are thinking of returning right away, whether to help on the Point, or simply to check up on things and get some personal items. I'm not trying to tell you what to do. You're all grown-ups... but you should know what's there when you make your decision.

I'm told that the looting in Algiers Point has been fairly small thus far, and pretty much confined to stores or businesses. Homes are being left alone still. And as you (hopefully) all know by now, Algiers still has running water, gas, and intermittent phone service.

However, there are groups of "young men" walking around in the streets, who don't live there. People are extremely tense.

Yesterday, when somebody tried to break into a neighborhood store, the owner was inside, and armed. I'm told he fired, but I don't think he hit anyone.

The carjacking issue is real, and very dangerous. This has been pretty widely reported on the national news, and as I mentioned earlier, they got Vinnie's van.

Here's how it went down: Vinnie was in his van, and a champagne-colored Corolla pulled up. It was driven by a young woman, and there were two passengers (young men). These guys approached Vinnie and asked him for directions, then hit him and took his keys. Vinnie had to jump out of the van. The guys had a maul.

I don't know, in all honesty, what I'd do if my house was there, and I was not. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do - but you should have your eyes open to the situation.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Polimom said;

    Marni.... thank you....



     
  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger Polimom said;

    "none" - I'm not there. I'm talking to people who are, regularly. This is what they are telling me.
    I don't know how to answer your fear. I can only tell you what I am told. I understand. Some of my people started the drive out today. I'm scared for them, too.



     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home