Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Texas - a Model of Emergency Preparedness

The Citizens of the Gulf Region of the State of Texas have shown themselves to have astounding generosity of spirit. Since Katrina, I have (for the first time I can remember) been proud to live here. Truly, the people here are wonderful. Before I say anything else with this post, I really wanted to emphasize that.

Okay. That’s clear. So here comes a major rant (you can just use the “back” button on your browser if you want to avoid this).

I want to talk for just a little second or two about the abysmally short-sighted stupidity shown by this state’s emergency preparations officials.

I – lowly citizen me – knew five days ago that there was a problem coming in the form of another probable hurricane. I also knew gasoline shortages sprang up immediately in the Katrina crisis. Do you think anybody might have thought to order up a little extra gasoline?

How about plywood? They’ve been sold out, everywhere, almost all week. Was that all there was in the entire country? No extra stock anywhere to ship down this-away?

Hello?

Worst of all (and enhanced dramatically by that little gasoline snafu) - There’s been a staggering amount of patronizing about the State of Louisiana, and how they handled their emergency preparations. But I don’t remember reading that evacuation routes were complete parking lots. For two days! Maybe somebody should have asked Louisiana how to set up the evacuation routes so they can point all lanes of traffic OUT?

Residents of the Houston metro area, and those unfortunates from the coastal communities below it, have been parked for 10 hours and more, in 100 degree (plus) heat, no air-conditioning… People are pushing their cars to conserve gas, or driving 5 miles in 12 hours!

What is going on here?? Stupid stupid stupid.

End of rant.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger govtdrone said;

    I was watching the terrible traffic and I kept asking myself why aren't they using contraflow?



     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Polimom said;

    Lee - you're right, of course. My county (Ft. Bend) also has been under voluntary evacuation for several days... And 2 days ago, there was a reason for it. But in all honesty, there's more than that going on. Houston's mayor likely fell prey, also, to the "Katrita Phenomenon" - like all of us who are too close to events to think straight.



     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger Polimom said;

    Lee:

    Well yes... that's pretty much what happened Katrina, yes? I see a clear need for a happy medium (and cool heads in crisis).



     
  • Post a Comment

    << Home