Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Thursday, November 24, 2005

From Somebody Else's Kitchen


Twice a year, my family talks me into getting on a plane and going someplace (I really hate flying). Thanks to the usual breath-holding, arm-rest clutching and toe-curling, I again managed to get the plane safely off and on the ground, and here we are in Boston.

Getting out of town for Thanksgiving has several big advantages, not the least of which is that somebody else (usually) cooks – and I am VERY grateful this morning that somebody else was up at 5 a.m. to start the turkey.

Sitting in an unfamiliar kitchen (dialed up through a slowwwww connection) has other advantages besides food, though. The end result of all this upheaval and dislocation is that I am left to focus on what matters most to me – my family.

This morning, I’m grateful to those many writers in cyberspace who have given thanks so eloquently. Because of their gifts with words, I'm free to cherish my personal universe – those whose lives and love keep everything else in perspective.

The war in Iraq, Katrina’s devastation, FEMA’s ineptitude - those issues will still be there tomorrow. They have no power over me today – something to be grateful for indeed.

I hope everyone takes time today to hug their friends, listen to their children, or hold hands with their spouses. That’s what I’ll be doing.

Happy Thanksgiving.

0 Comments: