Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Saturday, December 03, 2005

BellSouth's Stringy Gift


Gracious! If
this WaPo story is accurate, BellSouth appears to have had quite the temper tantrum about the WiFi access in NOLA.

Hours after New Orleans officials announced Tuesday that they would deploy a city-owned, wireless Internet network in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, regional phone giant BellSouth Corp. withdrew an offer to donate one of its damaged buildings that would have housed new police headquarters, city officials said yesterday.
Isn’t that just too special? Yanking on the attached strings, they’re going to pull back their donation.

What’s really bizarre is that the WiFi is unlikely to threaten them significantly. It’s simply not fast or accessible enough to replace private connections in homes and businesses. I wonder if they were trying to play a trump card, and their bet was called; kind of a "do it my way or else" situation.

Good thing consumers have other choices. If BellSouth was my provider, I think I’d be shopping around about now.

0 Comments: