Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Ignored

On January 6, the moratorium against bulldozing damaged properties in New Orleans ends. That’s Friday. Two days from now.

Do you think there will be any indication of what people in the 9th Ward can expect from the future by then? I doubt it.

Wanna know what it looks like there? Today? FOUR MONTHS after the storm?

As these pix show, it’s the same. From a photographer friend:

...Unlike my home in Algiers where the "government" had come in within a week or two and kindly removed the debris from my street and even the fronts of my neighbors homes nothing has really been done in the lower ninth.

... Please, enough is enough. It is time for ALL of us New Orleans citizens, friends and family from around the world to let our politicians (local, state and federal) know that something needs to be done NOW. New Orleans has a long way to go and it looks like we really haven't even begun to scratch the surface.

My friend’s right… at least about this particular surface. It’s hard to avoid drawing some pretty damning conclusions when officials aren’t talking to the people.

0 Comments: