Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Social experiment for evacuees

Hunh. This is an interesting story on so many levels:

Canadian Firm Builds Hamlet for New Orleans Evacuees

Company officials say they are building 49 houses for evacuees and pledging to provide residents with a free place to live for five years, as long as each able-bodied adult agrees to work and perform community service. If the residents have a tough time finding work, they will have the option of tilling the land on the 860-acre organic farm Magna plans to build near the property.

They’re setting this up in Simmesport, LA, and I dunno about you, but I had to hit the trusty mapquest to find it. Talk about a culture shock.

My first thought was that it sounds like modern-day share-cropping. After some reflection, I’m not so sure – particularly the free “for five years” part.

First story like this I’ve seen, though.

0 Comments: