Home

My Photo
Name:Polimom
Location:near Houston, Gulf Coast, United States

Conservatively liberal, moderately well-educated, and highly opinionated...

Contact me




Powered by Blogger

Thursday, January 05, 2006

A sinister embrace

Hmmm.... The Guardian is really on a roll this week:

The Israeli government is planning to give up a large slice of land to American Christian evangelicals to build a biblical theme park by the Sea of Galilee where Jesus is said to have walked on water and fed 5,000 with five loaves and two fish.

So glad ole Pat and Jerry are thinking out of the box on this one. Maybe they should contact the owners of the now-defunct Astroworld. There are probably some really good deals on roller-coasters to be had.

Furthermore, I can't think of a single reason why Jewish people would be a smidge uncomfortable with an alliance between the conservative Israeli right and the American Christian right. Can you? I mean, they haven't tried to sway politics here in the USA, now have they?

The primary reason is that according to the Old Testament, Israel was given to the Jews by God. Fundamentalist Christians believe that in order for Jesus to return, two preconditions are Jewish control of the land of Israel and the conversion of the Jews to Christianity.

..."As a Jew, they believe I have to vanish before Jesus can make his second appearance. As I have no plans to convert, as an Israeli and a Jew, I find this a provocation. There is something sinister about their embrace."

Maybe they should all just hang on until the Italian court decides whether that was Jesus or John hangin' out over there...?

(Note: I know I'm off the Katrina topics today. Sometimes, though, I just can't help myself.)

0 Comments: